Commerce City Seeks Members for Cultural Council, Planning Commission, Housing and Liquor Authorities


COMMERCE CITY, COLO. – Commerce City is seeking individuals to serve as members or alternate members for the Cultural Council, Housing and Liquor Authorities.

“Serving on municipal boards and commissions is a great way to get more involved in the community,” said City Manager Jerry Flannery. “Not only will you learn more about how the city operates, you’ll have a hand in ensuring we continue to build a Quality Community for a Lifetime.”

Residents are needed for the following positions:

· One (1) Planning Commission vacancy. As an alternate member assist with making and adopting plans for the re-planning, improvement, and redevelopment of areas in the city. Members must live in the city and not be employed by the city. Meetings are held the first Tuesday of each month at 6 p.m.

· Two (2) Housing Authority vacancies. With openings for one regular member and one alternate member, these individuals would serve a five-year term (2015 for the regular, 2012 for the alternate) that involves administering Section 8 housing regulations and providing low-interest loans for fixing property. Members must be qualified to vote and either be a resident or conduct a substantial part of their business in the city. Meetings occur the second Wednesday of the month at 5:45 p.m.

· Six (6) Cultural Council vacancies. Five regular members (three terms are unfulfilled expiring in 2013, two terms serving three-year terms) and one alternate member would serve three-year terms to help advance and preserve art, music, theater and dance within the city. Meetings occur at 6 p.m. the second Tuesday of the month.

· Three (3) Liquor Authority vacancies. As alternate members, individuals would serve a three-year term and have the authority to grant, approve, renew, suspend, revoke or deny liquor licenses and special-event permits. Members must live in the city, be at least 21 years of age and have no financial interest in the operation of a liquor-licensed establishment. Meetings occur the first Tuesday of each month at 12:30 p.m.

Interested residents should contact Deputy City Clerk Cheryl Scott at (303) 227-8791 or visit to learn more information and obtain an application (either hard copy or online). All applications should be submitted by 5 p.m. Friday, October 21, 2011.